City hikes are becoming a bit of a habit for me. When the weather’s nice I set aside an afternoon on the weekend to go for a long walk around Melbourne. I usually base my hikes around places to eat that I wouldn’t normally visit, i.e. it takes me approx 1.5 hours to walk to Mister Nice Guy Bakeshop so I ‘hike’ there, eat delicious things and ‘hike’ back.
I just realised I start nearly every ‘Weekend Wandering’ with comments about the weather…. #sorrynotsorry. I suppose I can call myself a true ‘Melbournian’ now. So avoiding commenting on the weather too much (hooraythesunisback!) this weekend is all about GRAND FINALS FEVER.
If you’re new to Melbourne and not a fan of AFL I suggest you leave town for the weekend. Otherwise find a pub Saturday arvo and pick a team! Sydney Swans v Hawthorn Hawks – should be a good one. Although I’m a born’n bred West Coast Eagles fan I’ll be barracking for Hawthorn out of loyalty for my new home state.
Aside from watching the footy and drinking beer for most of Saturday here’s what else I’ll be up to this weekend:
- Long walks, or ‘city hikes’ as I like to call them, are becoming a bit of a weekend habit and this Sunday I’m hoping to make it up to the Abbotsford Convent and loop around the gardens.
- Got my tickets booked and most spangly outfit prepared for Fringe Festival’s Who Killed MamaShak? on Sunday night. I’ll be putting up a review on Monday so keep an eye out for it!
- More active activities: rock climbing. It’s been a while since I did any indoor climbing but my inner monkey has been calling.
- Trying to recruit ‘volunteers’ for the Royal Melbourne Show (on until Wednesday October 1st) – mostly so I can pat/admire all the show dogs.
- If I haven’t drunk enough beer on Saturday, there’s always Oktoberfest at the Melbourne Hophaus.